Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is bought with my money. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

I bought this palette long time ago and I'm finally posting it. By looking at the pictures, the date was taken back in July. Wow!

Product Review: Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes-02

Where can you purchase this: any drugstores
Price:
$5-$6

Made in USA

My thoughts: To be honest, the reason why I didn't post earlier is because I wasn't a fan of it. When I bought it back in July, I played around with the palette. I actually followed the direction on the back and didn't like how it looked on me. For that reason, I never touched this palette again until last week. This time around I modified the look to my style and fell in love... wheee~ :)

Pros:
* Smokey look but on the natural side.
* Can wear during daytime.
* Pigmented.
* Easy instruction on the back.
* Comes from a brand you're starting to trust.
* People compare it to the MAC 2008 Holiday Palette in Smokey Eyes.

Cons:
* Comes from a brand I never trusted.
* I don't completely compare it to the MAC 2008 Holiday Palette in Smokey Eyes.

Would I buy this again? Yup.
Rating: 4/5 Tobey's Paws

I'm going to talk about this palette a little bit more... hehe~ Here's a closer pictures of the colors of the palette.
(clockwise from top left: lid color, crease, outer corner, and brow bone)

The top two colors are both shimmery and the bottom two are matte. I also swatched it long time ago. Here's a picture of the swatches.
(l-r: lid, crease, brow bone, and outer corner)

I also took a picture of the back so you can see the direction of the palette. ;)

Now for the look I did. It's a very simple neutral, natural look which I love since I don't want to stand out during daytime.

What I used:

Now for the look:
UDPP
MAC Paint Pot in Painterly
Maybelline in Natural Smokes:
* lid color on the lid
* crease color on the crease & outer, bottom 2/3
* brow bone color on top of the lid color
CG Sugar Rush as highlight
Max Factor Pensilks Eyeliner in Black Velvet
Asian white eyeliner on the inner, bottom 1/3 & inner corner
L'oreal Lash Architect Waterproof in 660-Black Noir (click here for the review)

A lot of people compare this palette to the MAC 2008 Holiday Palette in Smokey Eyes. I don't know if I agree or not, but I do have the MAC palette. You can be the judge... hehe~ ;)
I still have this picture which I took for the old blog I had before I took it down. I wish I had the swatches, but unfortunately I deleted that... lol~ If you want to see swatches for this and compare it to the Maybelline palette, ask and I will do.


Other Maybelline products reviewed/swatch:
Lash Stiletto


I finished another bag for a Christmas gift for one of my nieces. That makes two down and two more to go.
This time I made a pig bag. If you want to see the bunny bag I made, you can click here to see it. ;)


I'm going to end with a little surprise Tobey left for my dad and me.
I guess he couldn't sleep because we woke up to this gigantic hole he left.This has to be the biggest hole he has ever dug up. My dad wasn't happy but I thought it was cute. Whatever he does, it's just adorable. I love this munchkin!

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is bought with my money. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

14 comments:

xSplendidStar said...

Awww your eye make-up looks great! Love it!! xxx

Unknown said...

It does look similar to the MAC palette you have but I bet the pigmentation is a lot weaker. Did you use both UPDD and Painterly as bases?

Jamilla Camel said...

It looks very nice..and your eyeliner is fab!!

Lol about Tobey...my CAT digs in the yard, too!

Marce said...

I don't recommend following Maybelline's how-to's, they're definitely not for everyone!
I haven't checked out their quads yet, but the single shadows have improved sooo much!
Thanks for sharing! Oh and your EOTD is really pretty =)

Anonymous said...

Yeah i've been hearing some iffy reviews on the Maybelline smokes quads. The one that attracts me the most was the Amethyst Smokes one.

Fabuless Beauty said...

That palette definitely looks simliar to MAC 2008 Holiday Palette. A great deal for those who missed out last holiday.

AskMeWhats said...

one thing I cannot do is Crochet! You are one talented girl!

I love your eyeshadow, do you know that you have such great blending skills?

Blovet Beauty said...

I was reading this post and I scrolled down and saw ur EOTD. I must say, the blending is gorgeous! I love this maybelline palette on ur eyes. its really drool worthy. heard so much gd reviews on this palette. if only they would bring it into spore!!

ndoodles said...

That's really funny! Oh Tobey :D

Man, you are so talented with crochets! That bag is adorable!!

Vanessa M. said...

your right, it doesn't compare, but still cute :)

Daituf said...

Omg, you have such gorgeous eyes! Now I can't tell if the shadow's any good, or it's just your eyes making it look good...
In any case, I'm still terrified of american drugstore eyeshadow...

gio said...

Your EOTD is so pretty! And pig bag is really cute, you're so talented.

Janel said...

Hey thanks for hoppin on my blog, hehe. & thanks for that lil maybelline review. I was SO about to buy it earlier @ rite aid.

izumi said...

aww tobeyyyy.. hahahaa.

nice look!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...