Monday, September 16, 2013

Manicure Monday: the Balm in Sky Blue Right Past You

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post was given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

My friend gifted me this nail polish from the Balm.

Product Review: the Balm Hot Ticket Nail Polish in Sky Blue Right Past You

Where to purchase: Nordstrom and online at thebalm.com
Price: $10 for 14 mL/ 0.5 fl oz

Made in USA

Description from the website: With these long-lasting, eye popping shades, the perfect polish is right at your fingertips!
Ingredients:
Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nitrocellulose, Alcohol Denat, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol/Trimellitic Anhydride Copolymer, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Triphenyl Phosphate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Silica, Diacetone Alcohol, Citric Acid, Benzophenone-1, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin. May contatin / Peut Contenir [+/- Mica (CI 77019), Aluminum Powder (CI 77000), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), Red 34 (CI 15880), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Violet 2 (CI 60725)].
Thoughts: When my friend gifted me this nail polish, I did not know the Balm even carried nail polishes! I learned something new this day.
Here's a closer look at the color. It is brighter on the nails than the packaging.
Here's a closer look at the brush. Compared to OPI, the brush is thinner and and slightly longer. The width is on the thin side.
Here's 2 coats of the nail polish with Seche Vite Top Coat. If you're wondering about the color on my ring finger, it's Sinful Colors in Unicorn. I borrowed the nail polish from a co-worker. It's a gorgeous light yellow nail polish! I apologize for the bad painting job. The base coat, Sally Hansen nail strengthener, I've been using has been getting thick. At this point, it got so thick that made it hard to work with. I will have to thin it out with a nail thinner.

Now for my overall opinion... I found this nail polish really easy to use. It applies smoothly even with my bad base coat. Since my base coat was so thick in application when I applied the nail polish on top, it was still wet and gunky. I was expecting the nail polish would turn gunky as well and I had to redo the whole process, but I was wrong. It went on smoothly. I was pretty impressed! It just smoothed out a nice layer versus the yellow. The yellow on my right finger had ridges and just looked nasty. There also were no streaking and bubbles whatsoever. I'm also impressed with the lasting power. While I'm writing this and it's my 5th day of wearing this nail polish, I hardly see any chipping. I do see slight chipping on my right fingers versus my left. It's extremely little to a point it's not that noticeable with a glance. You have to look carefully to notice the chip. The yellow, on the other hand, I see chipping. Unfortunately, I will remove my nail polish tomorrow. I probably won't know how long it will take before I notice a big chip. If I have to take a guess, I think this nail polish can last a week and it'll still look good.

Pros:
* Simple packaging; matches the theme of their brand.
* Medium consistency.
* Easy to apply.
* Smooths out the gunk.
* No ridges and bubbles.
* Long lasting; I would say about a week.

Cons:
* None of the colors are unique; you can find in other brands.
* Thin brush; I think it could be thicker.

Would repurchase: Maybe if they have unique colors.
Rating:  4/5 Tobey's Paws

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post was given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

10 comments:

LauraLeia said...

i love blue shades like these - they make my fingers look fairer, haha! The shade itself is really pretty too ^^

Sachi said...

I didn't know they made polish either! Love the mani with a yellow accent nail

YomiC said...

The shade look alike the one I got from Essie, but I guess it's hard to make like new shades.

http://www.gwiyomistyle.net

xlicious said...

they had nail polish? haha i guess im not the only one who didnt know. hehehe, looks cute though, especially paired with the yellow! noooiiice~

xoxo Sarah (xlicious girl)
Japanese Gyaru Makeup Blog

Ahleessa said...

Thank you! It's so interesting Asians want their skin to look fair, whereas, tan is what people crave here in the states. Such a big difference from US to Asian. I love it!... hehe~

Ahleessa said...

Thank you! :)

LauraLeia said...

Hahaha IKR! It kinda baffles me too, but then again, the saying 'we want what we can't have" is exactly what this is, huh? XD

Ahleessa said...

You're so right now that I think about it... hehe~ I always want what others have. I wish I was taller, I wish I was skinnier, I wish I was hairless, and so on... lol~

Karen Law said...

Ooo turquoise is one of my favourite colours and your nail polish looks like a robin egg blue :) Very pretty! And that's nice that your friend gifted it to you.

Ahleessa said...

Instead of reading robin, I read rotten... lol~ My bad! :X Thank you. Now that it's fall, I want to wear darker colors. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...