Monday, June 23, 2014

Manicure Monday: Deborah Lippman in Do The Mermaid (LE)

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

My friend gifted me my first Deborah Lippman nail polish. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to try brands that I never have!

I took this picture from my Instagram. I already reviewed Orly Calcium Shield Basecoat (top middle). For this post, I'm going to review the polish on the bottom left.
Product Review: Deborah Lippman in Do The Mermaid, Limited Edition

Where to purchase: Sephora and online at deborahlippmann.com
Price: $20 for 0.5 fl oz/ 15mL

Made in USA

Description from the website: Enter the dreamlike fantasy of our mermaid hues, inspired by fan-favorite Mermaid's Dream. Experience the mermaid's gorgeous glittering shine.
Thoughts: When I received this, I was excited! Not only have I been wanting to try Deborah Lippmann nail polish, this is just gorgeous.
Here's a closer picture of the color and it's very true! The website describes it as "lavender luster."
Here's how the brush looks like. Compared to OPI, it's thinner in width.
I applied Orly Calcium Shield Basecoat, 2 coats of Deborah Lippmann in Do The Mermaid, and then topped it off with Butter London Hardwear P.D. Quick Topcoat.

Now for my overall opinion... First of all even though the brush was thin, I actually found it easy to paint around the cuticles. That's a huge plus because I'm not good with using thin brushes. Secondly, the consistency is between thin to medium. Even though it was not medium (perfect consistency in my term), it wasn't runny. It applied smoothly, and there was no streaking and bubbles. With that said, I actually found the small glitters easy to work with. I know a lot of glitter polishes fall to the bottom but this didn't. It was spread out, as well as, on the nails. Third, the lasting power was 4 days. I noticed slight chipping at the tips. Since the color is light, it wasn't noticeable or at least to my naked eyes. You only notice it if you examine the nails closely. Plus, this is a gorgeous color. I even had a co-worker asking if she can use the polish. Lastly and with all glitter polishes, it takes some work to take it off. It's not as bad as big glitters but it does take some effort.

Pros:
* Gorgeous color!
* Thin brush but was easy to use.
* Easy to apply.
* No streaking.
* No bubbles.
* Glitters did not fall to the bottom in the bottle.
* Glitters were spread out on the nails.

Cons:
* Lasted 4 days before chipping.
* Takes some effort to remove.

Would repurchase: Yes.
Rating:  4/5 Tobey's Paws

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

10 comments:

LauraLeia said...

Oh, this is absolutely lovely! I only have one DL polish (also a gift from a friend), and I was surprised at how easily the glitters applied without having to 'scoop' them from the bottle.

Beatriz Garcia said...

Wowzers!!! That color is phenomenal!!! Awe boooo I dislike stubborn polishes! Tho I have found ways around that. I love the different hues of purple! Great review!

Kim A. said...

I've been wanting to try her nail polishes also Ahleessa! That shade is so beautiful. She's a big name, but she stays so hands on when putting together her nail lacquer. I admire that.

Ahleessa said...

Oh, you should try her brand! I didn't know she's hands-on with her product. That is so awesome!

Ahleessa said...

It is a gorgeous polish and I miss painting my nails! I really wish it would get stronger. It grows in a week and then breaks. Boo! :( What techniques do you use to go around stubborn polishes?

Ahleessa said...

Thank you! I totally agree with your statement. It is easy to scoop out the glitters.

Beatriz Garcia said...

I used to have that same problem, i could get my nails to be long and strong. So I kept them short, but I have extremely long nail beds, so they didn't seem short to people. But I knew!! LOL. How about nail strengthening regimen? Massage your nail beds. (Not the cuticle, but the actual nail.) It increases blood flow to your nails, which stimulates nail growth and keeps them healthier. For every day maintenance, I use OPI Nail Envy Natural Strengthener Sensitive and Peeling formula. For stubborn polishes... if the polish is thick or dried out I use a nail polish thinner (OPI Lacquer Thinner). For polishes that I now will be a pain to remove (like Glitters) I use good ol' Elmers glue!!

Ahleessa said...

I never thought about massaging my nail beds. That is something I should try! Thank you for the suggestion. :) Wow, that's a lot of good suggestions. Now I know where to go ask for nail questions... hehe~ You are the bomb! :)

Beatriz Garcia said...

Any time!!! There are polishes I love and others I stay clear of! Because I used to bite my nails then went straight to going to the salon and getting them done on a regular basis, they arent as strong as they could be! They are very sensitive. Sniff sniff.

Ahleessa said...

Awww~ I hope your nails get strong just like I hope mine does.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...